Our mission that will help you navigate the brand new regular is fueled by subscribers. To get pleasure from limitless entry to our journalism, subscribe at present.
Google needs to assist folks to determine how and the place to vote.
The search engine on Friday unveiled new options aimed toward getting extra folks to the polls.
Customers who enter “early voting areas” or “poll drop bins close to me” will see a “the place to vote” field on the high of their outcomes. They will enter their addresses to seek out polling areas for Election Day, early voting areas, in addition to the place they will drop off mail-in ballots.
Google Maps and Google Assistant, the corporate’s voice-activated helper, may even get new options for locating polling areas.
The updates have been developed with assist from the Voting Data Mission, the voter advocacy nonprofit Democracy Works, and state election officers. In all, Google will present details about greater than 200,000 voting areas nationwide. For folks in areas the place voting areas are nonetheless undetermined, Google will information customers to state and native election web sites—after which replace that data after it turns into accessible.
The brand new options come after Google searches for “find out how to vote” hit an all-time excessive in September, in keeping with Google. It additionally follows earlier options Google launched in August to assist folks extra simply entry details about registering to vote, registration deadlines, and the way folks can vote of their respective states this yr.
Extra must-read tech protection from Fortune:
- Ousted Pinterest exec says extra transparency wanted to struggle Silicon Valley pay discrimination
- The polls are unsuitable. The U.S. presidential race is a close to useless warmth, this A.I. “sentiment evaluation” instrument says
- All the things to learn about Apple’s first 5G iPhones
- Fb A.I. researchers push for a breakthrough in renewable power storage
- Zoom’s latest characteristic will present a market for digital occasions and companies